As a mother of 2 kids I always look for Recipes that are mostly one pot and easy to make as well as healthy. I prefer more vegetables and less protein. Potatoes are a must in most of my dishes. My kids don't eat spicy food but we adults do so I make sure to cook without any spicy ingredients and take a portion for the kids. Later I add the spices to suit us, the adults. We are a big fan of chillie and pepper and in sri lankan curries we use either one or both with our daily meals. This chicken in kabsa masala is a twisted arabic dish which has bought in techniques from 3 different cuisines. A baked dish like the baked potatoes. A gravy dish like the asian food. A middle eastern spice.
This dish contains nuts and you can easily remove it for a gluten free version. If your vegan just omit the chicken and make it with some cauliflower and make sure you dont boil but just add the florets of cauliflower with the onions.
I have used a microwave as it's easy to multitask but you can easily make it in a pot over a very low flame.
Enjoy and do share your thoughts.
Oh finally if kabsa masala should be available easily at a local store or can be made at home.
Let me try to find a good recipe if you need one do leave a comment :-)
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- A pinch of turmeric
- 2 cup water
- 3 tablespoon coconut powder
- 1 tsp kabsa mix
- 1/2 a carrot
- A few pine nuts (toasted)
- A few chives
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1Clean, wash and boil the chicken
- 2Peel and Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and dice the carrots. Add both into a pan with some water and cook
- 3Chop the onion into 12 pieces and cut the chives
- 4Mix the ginger and garlic paste with the water and coconut powder and make the coconut sauce.
Season it with salt, turmeric powder and kabsa masala.
- 5In a pan add the potatoes and the carrots
- 6Pour the coconut sauce mix
- 7Bake in the oven for 25 minutes over 180 degrees on a baking tray
- 8Remove from oven and transfer into a microwaveable dish
- 9Add the chicken and onions on top and cook in the microwave for 15 minutes on 100 power
- 10Remove from the microwave and garnish with the toasted pine nuts and chives
- 11Serve hot with a bowl of saffron rice